Cyberserenity about DESIGN
I started this simulator build some months ago and started with building a very basic setup. I wanted to use the simulator to fly on Vatsim and also do tests as my knowledge of simulator builds are basic none at all.
Now the simulator is back in my artlab for another phase of building. Just using it have increased my know how in sim building a lot.
I started out with measurements for a Airbus 320. But i fly the Flight 1 ATR72 so i soon found that it did not really work. I do my flying with an old broken joystick and a store joystick is not sensitive enough for sim flying. My landings for my VA, not so good statistics. So the Airbus is out. I have been studying hundreds of different cockpits and they are all different, even the same plane can have much different cockpits. But the basic function is the same. There are instruments, radio, navigation and engines.
I have a very small gaming company and i want to test all kinds of planes and simulators. So i want to build a multi purpose simulator. I want to one day fly the ATR and maybe a Boeing the next.
So this is what i have learned about simulator building.
Side walls. At first i did not care about them. Maybe wanted to skip them. But no they are more important than i could imagine. Because of maps and other stuff. I have had the maps in the room but that’s not very real. When the controller want me to fly BABAP 3C and i go over to the book shelves and get the maps. No book shelves in planes. I have now bought a small Android pad that i will put in the cockpit for the maps. I see that they have that in planes today. You can buy one for almost nothing today. It is useless for most things but works OK for maps. I have my Ipad for checking facebook while flying.
I will put in side walls for added realism.
Computers and wiring. The simulator runs with 3 computers. At first i just put them anywhere and that was not a good thing. Computers need upgrades wiring needs to be replaced and it was a big job every time anything needed replacement. I had to climb in and under the simulator and i have it in a very small room so to much work. I have built a lot of computers and a few big ones so i should have learned that some structure really pays off in the end. So all computers in one place. Wires marked and off the floor.
Outside views. Not as important as you would think. 80% of flying a airliner is looking at the instruments. It is very nice to have when you are taxiing on a nice scenery airport. But at FL250 not that important. And i am using FS2004 for the most of my flying. There are a lot of free scenery. I have to put it on three computers so i am not that happy about buying things. It updates really good. Smooth flying. I also own 3 copies of FSX. (did i say i have a small gaming company? No i do not use pirated software. I cant expect people to buy my stuff and then not do the same.) My computers are not the most powerful in the world so FSX got terrible update times. It looks great but i only use it for VFR flying in my Cessna. The upside is that i can see all other Vatsim traffic on all monitors thru Widetraffic. Buying more powerful computer are a project for the future. I am on a simulator budget.
Pedals, throttle and joysticks. I am going to build my own system. You need all of them for flying and i have found that you really need some sensitive stuff to make it work. My simulator is a two seater so i need a double command. At art school i did some classes in welding, those will come in handy know. I have to do further testing. Hope to come up with something good.
The overhead panel. This a problem still unsolved. It is useful. But not for the price of a touch screen and i really want buttons and gadgets. I think i will build one and the put in the different modules as i expand the simulator. I have seen that you can buy one ready made. But i want to build stuff so i will get back to this one later.
Building a simulator is a big job. And it is growing all the time. But i find the studying and learning new things really fun and relaxing. For me making art and game projects are work. Sometimes complicated and difficult. So when i want a break from it all i just go and “SAS332 request clearance for Gothenburg with information Victor.” it is as good a hobby as anything.
About the Author
Hypergrid travelleling reporter and photographer for art space Magazine. VATSIM pilot and IVAO Tower controller. Building my own simulator.
More articles from this author
- Exploring and taking photots
- Tricia Aferdita Collection showing in Avalon town hall.
- Between shows?
- Some nice some strange
- Another thinking art place.
- Another strange project i really like
- Size of gallery
- How much art?
- Art instution in SL
- Classic paintings in SL
- Sledge Roffo at Studio 33
- My fav artist in SL
- Guest Artist Annex - Two Shores Gallery of Fine Art
- zeno.ochs (fredx)
- LA Gallery of fine Arts
- The use of the media
- Another art sale.
- Two shores gallery again
- Virtual art finding its own way.
- LEA just so much to see.
- How would i ever find new artists?
- Some problems with the website.
- Looking out the window. hmmm.
- Annie Klavinham at Rockcliffe
- Rebecca de Milneaux working on a new collection of menswear.
- Some nice 3D art.
- The artlab early spring
- Some nice self promotion.
- Revisit a favorite Jessica Belmer in Tabula Rasa
- Code for a magazine.
- Finally the new place takes shape in Avalon town.
- Avalon town closing.
- Starting up on VATSIM
- Back in the new place in Avalon town.
- VATSIM first flight IFR Visby to Bromma
- The VATSIM adventure continues.
- New hardware test on VATSIM
- Flying controlled airspace by accident.
- Final setup. Many flights no software crashes.
- Landed at ESSB after a not so good landing.
- First landing at ESGG.
- Pheeww I made my first controlled flight.
- 3 good landings in a row.
- The new place in Tabula rasa is here.
- Now I am flying for a virtual airline.
- Jessica Belmer at Tabula rasa LHOOQ
- Building a simulator
- Looking for Mr. Godard
- New simulator project build.
- Hypergrid trip to Pompeii Bauproject on Metropolis
- The new tower software for IVAO
- Arduino projects
- Avatarfest on the hypergrid
- First flight on IVAO and Oculus rift test.
- You should see what I see.
- This is something to explore.
- Today I did some truck driving.
- Flightsim update.
- Another day in Odense.
- Cica Ghost in Moonlight.
- Fantasy fair in Second life, Pure game graphics.
- Finally got the IVAO tower beta out for some testing.
- If I only could show you the world as I see it.
- Benefit for Bri Shopping Event
- Dance sweep
- My work
- Waiting at ENGM for company flight to land.
- IVAO IFR tour. Flying.
- Nice to do repaint for Sky Aurora.
- Pride Second life
- Is DixMix gallery best in Second Life
- Another repaint for Sky Aurora.
- My new computer. Raspberry PI
- Ticket on the milk run
- Hardware part of simulator.
- I did drive trucks once.
- Cica Ghost do it again.